Monday, July 25, 2005

Music of the moment

Today has been a freaking fantastic day. From its beginnings in my Calculus lecture through rehearsals with Fundamentals to finding a tenor for my chamber choir; it has proven to be one of the best days I have had in Auckland. If that weren’t good enough, while I was round at Jono’s I got to experience some of the most awesome music I have ever heard. The Big Phat Band. Oh my goodness. This is the most tight band music, insane, crazy, wicked. Words do not even come close. And the vocal… you just have to hear it. The director of the group is a musician by the name of George Goodwin. An absolute legend in his own right he has some of the top jazz musicians in the world in this band. The dvd-audio we watched showed them recording live and it was flawless. Absolutely stunning.

Dream Theatre. Then I think I have found a band that tops Muse in my charts. The album is so well thought out. 70-something continuous minutes of pure epicness… And a final track that last 24 minutes and never gets boring. The chordal work is just so mind boggling that when something completely normal is used (like a perfect cadence used all over the place) it sounds really out of place.


On such a high. Will most definitely sleep very little.

2 comments:

Tash McGill said...

you dag.. glad to hear about your musical discoveries. have you checked out etnobofin off my site? I think you will like what he has up there..

Sam said...

Yeah Dream Theatre are incomprehendably good in places. Good to see some class bands there JQ.

I thought Fantastic Four was boring too. But Jessica Alba is hot. HOT.