Saturday, May 14, 2005

Youth Band rocks

Today was a pretty good day. I had to take the youth band by myself because of Tash's prior engagement with Luke's wedding. I'm mucho impressed at how well the adapt and can learn to do the new stuff you ask them to. The greatest thing is that I don't really have to do much, just tell them what to play and then make comments about how they might think about doing it differently. The one annoyance I sustained was that I had to mix the sound myself because Mitch was at a 'moot.' Thats the second time in the last month that I have heard the term moot (when not referring to a meeting of Ents) and I am surprised that it is new terminology for me altogether. Ah the english language and its endless ability to surprise and entertain me.

Anyhoo, being an absolute shocker of a sound guy, (seeing as I have learnt by twiddling somw knobs on the desk) the sound itself wasnt that great. And missing a bass guitarist did not help the overall sound. However it is the little improvements that impress me the most: getting the interlude sound right, beginning to communicate with each other, showing contrast in the different parts of the song. All of these things contribute to making good music and a flippin good team.

I also can't wait to hear Tash's commentary on the wedding. She is somewhat infamous for it. And seeing as though the preparation for the wedding was in someplaces a little...unusual I think there will be plenty of stuff to chat about...

No comments: